Wednesday 4 December 2013

Welsh Walk

We had a fabulous weekend (after I'd got the Keep it Simple pdf loaded up - in the same titled blog post below if that's what you're looking for)  We set off early on Saturday morning across the Severn Bridge - which I absolutely love, so glad Mr S was driving because I get quite mesmerized by it (and that wind turbine at Reading)  there was a great sunrise behind us which tinged the Welsh sky pink


The Severn Bridge


We headed to the Brecon Beacons and were aiming for a little car park by a reservoir so that we could walk towards Pen Y Fan which is the highest point in the south of Britain. We parked up to find other people already there. Now, Mr S is not a fan of crowded walks which is why we'd set off early (we went to Scotland earlier in the year and were sometimes walking by 7.30 am, I kid you not!) But by the time we'd kitted up they were long gone. It was beautifully bright and sunny and although it was cold I knew I'd be taking my fleece off somewhere up the first hill.

Off we went - he'd warned me there were some boggy bits and just for the record let it be known that I really detest bogs. There were a lot in Scotland - I have no idea  how you can have a bog UP a hill, surely it should all be at the bottom! - but the worst one was in North Wales a few years ago near Harlech; I was cold and we were a bit lost (doesn't happen now with GPS maps and stuff) and we had to walk across this HUGE bog and it just sapped all the energy out of your legs. Every bloody step was an effort. I just focused on a dry stone wall in the distance and promised myself a bit of chocolate when I got there. When I did get there I realised that I'd stupidly bought some Greene and Blacks ultra loads of percent cocoa stuff which did not melt in my mouth like a piece of Dairy Milk would have done. Anyway, I do not like bogs so was pleased to find this walk pretty unboggy.

Up the first hill, quick stop to take off my fleece! - and a bit of a steep last piece where I saw these wonderful rectangular rocks



The views from the top were great but it wasn't the clearest of days and I'm still using my little camera as the SLR is broken so no stunning long distance view pics. It was blowing a gale at the top, well not an actual gale but it was very windy. If you'd put anything on the ground it would have blown away fast. So we donned more layers and gloves and hats. There are no photos of me in THE HAT. I love my hat, it's the best £4.99 I've ever spent. Green and fleece and snugly. But everyone is used to me and big curly hair - sometimes people say 'You know her, the one with the hair' -  so if I tuck my hair in a hat people don't think it looks like me. My best friend actually laughs and Mr S wouldn't take a pic and he said 'I don't want any evidence of you in THAT' Well regardless, I LOVE my hat.

We headed along the top towards Pen Y Fan and it got winder and windier and then  there was a ridgy bit - not ridgy like climbers would call a ridge, but ridgy for me. And goodness me on that bit it was an icy blast. My fingers were going numb and my head felt like I'd eaten several tubs of ice cream it really hurt. Another stop to change gloves for my padded ski type really cold weather ones and add my proper winter coat with hood, over my lovely hat. Mr S did the zip up and sorted my hood out as I couldn't do much with the big fat gloves on.

That hood made such a difference. By the time we got to Pen Y Fan I was warm, the wind had died down and there were LOADS of people everywhere. I hadn't been up there for about 10 years and I was married then and about four stone heavier and I remember letting the dog pretty much pull me up to the top! I took a photo of the poppies from Remembrance Day at the top as I knew a fellow facebooker had taken her children up to lay some there.


We headed back down the wonderful stone path which takes me ages because my knees are just rubbish so I usually say to Mr S 'See you at the bottom' He was heading up the next hill anyway and I was going to take the low road. As I slowly made my way down some lads RAN down the hill next to me, I stopped in absolute awe and watched them. I was tempted to shout 'I hope you appreciate those knees!' as mine were just singing to me but decided that would definitely make me a mad old woman so stopped myself.



I have to say the lower path was just lovely, no people on it, just me. So beautiful to be walking along there on my tod. Unsurprisingly Mr S was waiting for me at the other end, he'd been up and over the top quicker than I'd done the low path but I reckon that was because I kept stopping to take photos. We walked back towards the reservoir and the car with a noisy bunch of 20 somethings behind us discussing how they were going to share their remaining two slices of pizza. They were so noisy we left the main path and headed towards the reservoir buildings spotting this fabulous green reindeer on the way - he's just hiding there until Christmas Eve!


So, a great walk and then back to Bristol and the pub for a couple of well deserved beers and something to eat.

No comments:

Post a Comment